Saturday 29 March 2014

Down time Waikuku

Brianna
Zoe
Marshmallow Challenges

By Brianna
It was just a lazy afternoon at Waikuku Lodge. Florence, Zoe, Charlotte, Ela, Eleanor, Angus and I. We were sitting at the table playing a game of Spoons. Basically there were six spoons in the middle, as there were seven of us, and we had to take them. We were cracking up every time the last person realised all the spoons had been taken. That’s when Mr Eames walked in. He put a marshmallow on each of the spoons. “Here we go,” I thought. “Now, instead of picking up the spoons, you have to flick the marshmallow, off the spoon, into your mouth,” Mr Eames  explained, a cheeky grin on his face. “If you drop the marshmallow, you have to pick it up with the spoon and eat it.” Let the games begin!

The mood was intense. Quiet. That was before the first person made an attempt to eat a marshmallow. Marshmallows and spoons went flying. Katie picked the last one up, but I wanted it, badly. I grabbed another spoon and tried to take it off her, but only succeeded in knocking it on the ground. By the time we had played three games, I had managed to get two marshmallows. But Mr Eames wasn’t finished with us just yet.

“OK, you need a plastic spoon, two kebab sticks and four marshmallows. You have to build a rocket.” That sounds... interesting. We all set to work, but the task proved tougher than we had imagined. My finished product didn’t look too stable at first, but looking around, I thought I’d done pretty well. “Ok, now, you have to put your hands behind your back.” We all obediently did so. “When I say go, you have to eat the marshmallows off your rocket. Once you’ve done that, take a fruit burst in your mouth, and try to get the wrapper off without using your hands.” We spied the fruit bursts on the table, and realised there were only three. It had become a race - for lollies.

“Three, two, one, GO!” It became a mad race to finish first. Florence and I kept getting sticky kebab sticks in our hair. It didn’t take long for the fruit bursts to get taken, yet no one succeeded in getting the wrappers off. “Now, get another spoon, and a marshmallow, and come outside.” This challenge seemed never ending. We curiously followed Mr Eames outside to begin the next part of our adventure.

~Brianna

The Marshmallow Challenge.

By Zoe
“3,2,1 Go!” said Mr eames as I pushed the spoon off my very inaccurate rocket sculpture with my nose. The sculpture was made of 2 skewers, 4 marshmallows, and of course, a spoon.
“Ahh!” I heard someone mutter. I guessed it was Florence. It sounded like her at least. I started to bite the marshmallow of its stick.
Oh no. I thought. I have to get 3 more marshmallows off these sticks. By the time that I got to eating my last marshmallow someone was leaning across the table picking something yellow up off the table with their mouth. Charlotte. I forgot about that part. We had to unwrap a fruit burst with our mouth, but there were only three fruitbursts. Quickly, I lunged forward grabbing the fruit burst between my teeth and then leaned back into my original position. Obviously, it wasn’t that easy. The fruit burst dropped out of my mouth and onto the floor.
“No!” I yelped. Everyone started to laugh, as I picked up the dusty lollie up off the floor.
“Ahh!” I said. “It’s so hard! How do you do this?!” I bit the wrapper and it started to rip. 5 minutes later I was still struggling when finally, the plastic-like paper came off.
“Thank goodness!” I sighed, relieved that the wrapper, after a long fight, gave in.
~Zoe

No comments:

Post a Comment